C-SPAN and COMCAST present
Students & Leaders
Lessons on Leadership and Public Service
at Metro DC Schools
During May 2003, C-SPAN is teaming with Comcast, its Washington, DC affiliate, to create a unique educational experience for students at 40 DC-area schools. National journalists and leaders from the Administration, Congress, federal courts, and federal agencies will be invited by C-SPAN to "return to the classroom" at schools in Comcast's service area to discuss leadership and their commitment to public service. C-SPAN cameras will record the events so these lessons in leadership can be shared with students across the country and with C-SPAN's national viewing audience.
· 40 leaders, 40 schools, 20 days...and thousands of DC-area middle and high school students.
· The C-SPAN School Bus will be at each event for tours and teacher training.
· C-SPAN cameras will cover all 40 events. Each event will air that same day on C-SPAN3; will be archived at C-SPAN.org; and will air on C-SPAN or C-SPAN2.
· This web site will offer lesson plans, archived video and more information about the Students & Leaders project.
When to Watch
Weekdays from Monday, April 28th, through Friday, May 23rd, 2003 with the first event beginning at 7pm & the second starting at 8:30pm ET on C-SPAN3.
Settings will vary by school, from individual classrooms to small assemblies. Possible formats include:
1. A twenty minute lecture, followed by questions from the students.
2. A "student town hall" - brief remarks, followed by an open forum.
3. Student interviewers, followed by questions from a student audience.
4. A discussion moderated by a C-SPAN host.
Invited speakers will be asked to discuss why they do what they do; in other words, to talk about their jobs and their commitment to careers which serve the public.